Keyword clustering is a technique professional SEO services and digital marketing services providers use to segment target keywords into groups that are relevant to every page on a website. Over the years, several businesses have started using it to help search engines understand the connections between their webpage content.
Though a bit time-consuming tactic, it is extremely simple and can enhance SEO and content strategy for all businesses. This blog post discusses the benefits of keyword clustering and the ways to create keyword clusters.
Benefits of keyword clustering
Keyword clustering provides huge benefits in SEO and marketing, some of which are:
- Valuable and informative content: By clustering high-quality keywords, businesses can create useful and insightful content for their target audience.
- Better keyword rankings: Keyword clustering improve rankings of both long-tail and short-tail keywords.
- Cut down the risk of cannibalization: Proper keyword clustering will reduce the chance of duplicates and linking and anchoring the existing keywords will be easy.
- Create a content plan: Keyword clustering help businesses create a solid content plan. When done right, it can support newsletters, pay-per-click ads, social media marketing, press releases, and more.
- More productivity in the business: Keyword clustering will help in aligning the digital marketing teams in a business. The content and SEO team will work together and have a roadmap for a longer duration.
- Saves time and streamlines SEO plan: Keyword clustering saves a lot of time and streamlines a business’s SEO strategy. The more keyword research and cluster one creates, the more it ranks.
- Increased opportunities for internal linking: Keyword clustering enhances opportunities for internal linking as well as enables in writing anchor texts.
- Helps in discovering new content opportunities: Keyword clustering is a powerful tactic to discover new content opportunities and the most relevant content to create.
- Works as a preparatory step: Keyword clustering serves as a preparatory step that sorts out the important search terms and content plan before the execution of SEO strategies.
- Helps in building content authority and expertise in a specific niche: Keyword clustering helps businesses in developing expertise and authority in an industry niche.
How to perform keyword clustering
Here are the following ways using which businesses can perform keyword clustering:
- Create a list of keywords
Keyword research is the first step towards keyword clustering. Create a list of primary keywords that you want your website to rank for. Find out all the subtopics, long-tail search terms, and variations of the keywords that target customers are using to find the same or similar products. Also, find out keywords the top players and best-performing competitors are ranking for.
At times, the process can be extremely time-consuming and require a bit of SEO expertise. Use a tool that will help in finding relevant queries, subtopics, autocompletes, and search terms that people are looking for. Taking the help of a professional SEO services provider can make the work a lot easier and faster.
- Segment the keywords into clusters
After creating a list of primary keywords, you can see a pattern of the same or similar words, synonyms, phrases, or subtopics that people use in their searches. The patterns signify the ways you can create keyword clusters.
Some criteria to segment the keywords into clusters are:
- Semantic relevance: Keywords clusters must share similar search intent.
- Search volume and conversion potential: The keyword clusters should have a decent search volume and conversion potential.
- Organic difficulty: It is the keyword score that specifies the level of difficulty to rank in the top ten organic positions for a search term. The keywords with high organic difficulty will depend on the website’s reputation, backlink profile, and authority.
- Build and optimize core topics for keyword clusters
Keyword clusters represent core topics, which are also known as pillar pages. After creating keywords clusters, make a strategy to craft, organize, and optimize website content. The core topics for keyword clusters must include on-page SEO procedures. Using a content optimization tool can be useful in optimizing the content as well as the core topics.
To enhance ranking prospects of core topics, focus on the following aspects:
- Depth of the topic: Create long-form content that dives deep into the topic and provides in-depth information.
- Page experience: Use a clear structure and add the primary keywords in the sub-heads.
- Information architecture: Enhance page experience for users by including interactive on-page elements such as carousels, jump links, and videos.
- Strengthen keyword clusters with blog content
To enhance the authority and ranking of the core topics, craft blog content that strengthens primary keyword clusters. These blog posts can target long-tail keywords, queries, search terms, and subtopics that relate to core keywords.
The result of creating more blog content is that the web pages will form topic clusters. The content’s internal linking profile will determine the web pages that will rank in the search engine. The blog posts should link to an appropriate core topic to increase the ranking chances for the high-quality keywords.
Developing keyword clusters also increases the chances to include internal links to a website. Apart from improving the average time on a page, it will also help the search engine understand the relevance of each page.
Taking everything into account
Keyword clustering is a more sophisticated SEO technique that gives businesses the edge to succeed in a highly competitive space. It helps them optimize their website content, help search engines understand the connection between their web pages, and manage their workflow seamlessly. The technique shows in-depth knowledge about the content and demonstrates a website’s authority to search engines.